Thursday, July 23, 2009

We're Home!!!


7/23/09: It's been three days now since little Lucy was born. We are having such a great time loving and getting to know our baby girl. I figured that since I still have one more day in the hospital, I might as well write down the entire birthing experience. On Monday we went to see the doctor for another ultrasound and to plan Lucy's exit strategy. While there, the doctor explained that he felt the baby needed to be delivered via c-section, because he felt she wouldn't tolerate being turned and then delivered vaginally. We scheduled the c-section for 12:00 on Wednesday and then headed home. On the way home we stopped for some Taco Time burritos because I was starving. About an hour later I was on the phone with my friend Jen when I saw that the doctor's office was calling. I was shocked when he told me that he had gone over the ultrasound results again, and that my fluid levels had dropped to a dangerous level. He told me to get in the car and come to the hospital immediately. Luckily we had our bags packed and ready to go, so we were able to get the hospital quickly. Because I had just eaten, we needed to wait six hours for my stomach to empty. They set me up in a room where we could monitor her heart rate, and then we sat and waited until 8:00. It is hard to describe the fear I felt as we sat waiting for the procedure. I wasn't even nervous about the surgery, I just wanted to know that my baby would be all right. Finally 8:00 rolled around and I was off to the the operating room. Jordan is pretty queasy about medical things, so he couldn't be in the operating room with me while I got my spinal block. I was surprised at how little the spinal block hurt. It took me longer than the average patient to go numb, and then I had an isolated area that wouldn't go numb (which is exactly where he needed to make the incision). They had to give me some local anathesia to get me completely numb and then they began the surgery. It was so weird to know that they were cutting seven layers deep and that I couldn't feel it. After five minutes, they were able to get her out and I heard her cry for the first time. They showed her to me for literally two seconds and then whisked her away to evaluate her. It was hard for me to have to lie there alone for 25 minutes as they stitched me up. At this point the anasthesia caught up with me and I felt sleepy and foggy-headed. They wheeled me back to the recovery room and everyone was at the nursery looking at the baby, so I was alone for another 10 minutes. All of a sudden my incision started to become extremely painful and I asked the anasthesiologist for some medicine. He gave me some Demerol, and I felt so sick and dizzy. At this point everyone came back into the room and started talking to me, but I had no idea what was going on. Then Jordan came in holding the baby and handed her to me for the first time. Even though I felt so terrible, I was surprised how emotional I was when I held Lucy for the first time. Looking back, I wish that I would have been able to meet her for the first time without 20 people watching and taking pictures, but oh well. The first night I don't think I slept for more than five minutes. I was hooked up to all sorts of monitors, the nurses kept coming in to take my vitals, and the drugs were still making me feel weird. Around four in the morning the drugs finally wore off, and they brought Lucy to me. It was so wonderful to meet her feeling clear-headed. I fell in love with her instantly. I can't believe how beautiful she is. The staff here at the hospital keep telling us how beautiful she is. One of the housekeeping staff comes into hold Lucy everyday, claiming she is the most beautiful baby she has ever seen. Recovering from a c-section has not been so easy. I'm finally able to eat solid foods and get up and walk around. My incision is extremely painful and makes bending movements difficult. I have six more weeks of not being to lift anything but the baby. While I'm kind of sad that I didn't get the "typical" birthing experience, I'm so grateful that Lucy is healthy and safe. After the surgery, my doctor said that we absolutely made the right choice in delivering her via c-section. I'm so grateful for modern medicine, because I have to wonder what would have happened if my doctor hadn't been so on top of my situation. We are going home tomorrow, so I'm going to take advantage of my last day here in the hospital. We'll post better pictures when we get home. My mom actually posted some cute ones on her blog if you're interested.

7/24/09: Well actually, the internet at the hospital wouldn't let me publish this post yesterday--so, a few things have changed. We are home! Lucy is doing so well. She is maintaining her body temperature, eating well, and has no health problems that we're aware of. She only lost three ounces in the hospital, so she is a whopping 4 pounds, 8 ounces. While it was nice to be at the hospital in case we had any problems, it is so nice to be home.


Emma holding her cousin Lucy

I love how she sticks her leg straight out during feedings

World's best dad.


Look how tiny she looks in her car seat.


They had balloons and a banner waiting for us when we got home.

17 comments:

Mike and Erin Hale said...

Oh my gosh...she looks really tiny in her car seat. I'm glad you guys are home safe and sound. Just keep lovin that baby. It goes by way to fast.

Jillian said...

She really is a doll, Laura! I love her hair. Someday I want a baby with hair. :)

I never got much sleep in the hospital either. I felt like they checked my vitals SO much at night and left me alone a lot during the day, and I would have liked the opposite much more obviously.

I hope you start feeling better soon. Enjoy your sweet baby!

jakenapril said...

wow! what a whirlwind of events. glad you guys are home safe and sound. somehow the words sleep and hospital do not go together, so don't feel bad. and stick to the six week advice of not doing much...trust me! it will make recovery so much better. oh, i just want to hug her and love her and squeeze her! she is just so stinkin' cute! congrats.

Mike-Jami-Bridger-Foster said...

Laura and Jordan! Lucy is so beautiful. I love her hair! I'm glad everything turned out great and that she is healthy. I need to bring your nursing cover by, and of course I would love to meet beautiful Lucy. Maybe Sunday sometime if that works for you guys. Let me know. Congrats you two!

becca said...

congratulations!!!! she's so tiny and beautiful!

Bear of Very Little Brain said...

Everybody's beautiful! Love, Nat

Julia M. said...

Laur, I'm so glad everything turned out okay! Lucy IS the most beautiful baby I've ever seen. I even had a dream that she was mine. Not kidding. Then I was stressed about breast feeding her. :) How's it going for you? I can't believe how little she is! I can't wait to meet her. Good luck healing. What a miracle she is!

Steve and Kalli said...

I don't even know what to say except she's beautiful, tiny and I can't wait to meet her! Congrats guys, I'm so happy for you and to be an aunt again!

markholli said...

Congratulations! What a cute little one. Good name choice too, we have two Lucys in our family (one Luci and one Lucy, to be honest).

Nichole said...

Congratulations!! She is beautiful!!

Meags said...

laura! congratulations on little lucy jayne! she is DARLING! i want to see her in person SO bad and just hold her tiny self!
i have finally caught up on your story in the last 5 posts! i feel your pain girlfriend, although yours was a lot MORE nervewracking! as painful as it is though ... isn't all worth it!? it is SO amazing and spiritual. i am SO gald you and lucy are both doing well. you look SO good too! you did awesome ... way to go!

Nicole Lawrence said...

Your little girl is amazingly cute. So much hair! Congrats! Your delivery sounded like mine. Hope your recovery is quick.

Love the name too.

Camille said...

I am so glad you're home and settling in. Good luck with the recovery--we're thinking of you. Glad all went well. Your story totally made me tear up. Those first few moments are so precious and it's no wonder we all start bawling! Congratulations again!

Michelle said...

i didnt know that white people could have asian babies...

love jared gilmore

Haley Hale said...

I am so glad you guys are home and that you are all doing well. When I saw the picture of her in her carseat, I thought she looked so tiny. And then I realized that the boys were that big when we brought them home-and they are about to outgrow their infant seats! The time goes by so fast. Hold her and love her lots! Give her some extra nuzzles and snuggles from me!

patti said...

Very rarely do tiny babies actually look tiny in photographs. Luke was so little and you would never know it by looking at his baby photos...but you can definitely tell with little Lucy. That first picture with your hand is insane! I know that you have little hands, but compared to her tiny little head!??! She's just so dainty and beautiful! Congratulations!! I'm so glad that she is healthy and well and that you are too. That must have been so scary when the doctor called you back.

Chad said...

She is so cute and adorable! Congrats. Hope everything goes well from here on out. Babies are wonderful! And, having one cute like yours makes it all the better.