Sunday, July 11, 2010

Another Marathon Post...

I. live. for. summer. What's not to love? We hit the ground running when Erin and the kids arrived on the 16th of June and it's been nonstop ever since. Warning: this post contains the contents of at least 7 posts. Feel free to stop reading at any time.

I'll begin with my dad's 60th birthday. We had never thrown a surprise party for my dad, so I thought this was the year for a big party. For weeks we carefully laid the groundwork for an awesome surprise. My brother Mike flew in from Minnesota and Steve flew in from Boston for the big event. They arrived late Friday night and hid upstairs. The next morning my mom made a big breakfast and called everyone over the intercom to come eat. My dad was sitting in the living room and was FLOORED when Mike and Steve came walking down the stairs. His reaction was so great. He was SO confused! After a day of swimming and watching the US soccer game together, we had the boys go for a hike to get my dad out of the house. We had 1 1/2 hours to get the yard ready for the 90 people coming for the party. We lied and told my dad that the neighbors were having a reunion to throw him off the scent. We managed to completely surprise him though. Even when he came walking into the backyard and everyone was singing "Happy Birthday", it took him a bit to realize they were singing to HIM. Too good. Everything turned out perfect! We had Cafe Rio catering, a great DJ, key lime and tres leches pies, and Costco cake for dessert. Each of my siblings, my mom, my uncle, and two friends said a few funny words. It was a great night.

Moments after suprising my dad.

Lucy and Uncle Steve

Doggy Pile!!

The dessert table

Mmmmm....Cafe Rio A hilarious gag gift from his friends Bob and Julie.

Other fun events included:

The Hale Family Reunion:



Boating: Lucy's first time in a life jacket. No fun for anyone.

Hanging with Cousins: (Pepper and Salt)

Floating the Weber River:



Uncle Jordan and Abbie eating Spaghettios

The Fourth of July: Watching the Centerville parade




Erin made matching skirts for the girls. So cute!

....and lastly......a McCall trip with some dang good friends:

me and Bethany

Scott and Jordan on the patio boat

Lucy wanted to drive

Commando Brando himself.

6 comments:

Mike-Jami-Bridger-Foster said...

Cute pics! I also love the Summer! I love Lucy in her 4th of July outfit, she really is such a beauty. I can't wait to see you guys over the 24th! Parrtaaayyy!!

Street Fam said...

Glad you're having a fun summer! It's going by a bit too fast though...:( Lucy is so cute!

Mike and Erin Hale said...

Miss you guys so much already. I totally didn't even get to say bye to you and Jord. Thanks for the fun vacay!! Love you!

Bethany said...

Busy busy summer! Thanks again for the best weekend in Idaho I've ever had. Love you guys. Lets play again soon, in our matching toms of course. :)

jess bahr said...

Surprise Bdays are the best!
Loved the post - looks like you are having a fabulous summer.
Your sweet lil family is adorable!
Miss you.....211 forever :)

Janel said...

That is one rockin' party you all threw for your Dad. I wish I could've been there. It looks like you are having a blast. I wouldn't expect anything else you guys always know how to have fun. Janae said she saw Lucy at the reunion and she said she is just like a living doll. She is adorable. Miss you all!!!