Well, it's Monday morning and we're back in the hospital. We had quite the night last night. As I mentioned in the previous post, the doctors sent us home from the hospital Friday night with instructions to give Lucy antibiotics and Motrin. They told us there was the possibility that an infection might set in, but that we shouldn't worry for the next couple of days. Well, she woke up Saturday morning with a low-grade fever that became much worse that night. Also, she was dehydrated because it was such a struggle to get ANYTHING down her. We tried water, formula, Pediatlyte, popsicles, bananas, applesauce, you name it. Every time we tried to feed her she would cry and cry. I became really worried Sunday night when she hadn't had a wet diaper all day long. I called my pediatrician at 9:30 and told him what was going on. He told me that he was worried that an abcess (pocket of infection) was forming where the comb impaled her. He then instructed us to take her back to Primary Children's immediately. We got to the hospital around 10:00 PM and things went from bad to worse. Lucy was SO tired and SO sick and person after person kept coming in and looking in her ears and her mouth and asking the SAME questions over and over. Then came time for them to put her IV line in. They made me hold her down while they tried placing the IV in her hand. Because she was so dehydrated the lady was unable to find the vein in her hand, so then she tried placing the IV in Lucy's foot. Once again she was unsuccessful, so the nurse came in and was finally able to place the IV in Lucy's other hand. Third time is the charm. It. was. horrible. Lucy was screaming and crying and it tore my heart out and see her so scared and hurt. After finally getting the IV in, they told us that they wanted to do a CT scan to see if an abcess was forming. They had to papoose her to the table and strap her head down to do the CT. The results of the CT scan were crazy. Apparently the comb scraped her soft palate, but actually impaled the back of her throat deeply. No wonder she's been unwilling to eat or drink!! An infection was setting in, so they said it was really good that we decided to bring her in. They decided to keep Lucy in the hospital and get her on aggressive antibiotics through her IV. The hope is that the antibiotics will keep an abcess from forming. If she starts to fever or seems to be doing worse they will do another CT scan tomorrow and probably have to do surgery to remove the abcess. We're praying that she won't have to undergo surgery. After a horrible night, they finally got us to our room at 4:00 AM. By the time they hooked her up to all the machines and evaluated her it was 5:00 AM. They only have one bed in our room, so Jordan went home to sleep and I stayed here. After three bad nights, we're all pretty exhausted. Lucy seems to be doing better since they started her on the fluids. She still isn't eating, but we're hoping to get some food down her today. Tomorrow will be a telling day. Let's hope for good news!!Her IV. So sad!!
Last night at 4:30. She was SO tired!!
Lucy's prison cell.
15 comments:
My heart breaks for you and little lucy! I will keep you guys in my prayers! Good luck.
On a brighter note, you and Lucy both look cute, even with no sleep!
that seriously brings back such bad memories. I spent a week in the hospital with Kaysia when she was around that same age and by the fifth night I was so tired of holding her in the horrible rocking chairs they have that I climbed into the "prison" with her and we both slept like a charm! I really hope that the IV gets the healing process into fast motion. Crazy the things life throws at you huh?
So sad! I hope she gets better soon!
Oh, Laura- I hope that Lucy gets better quickly and that the IV will do the trick. I have been thinking about you a lot today- I love you guys a lot and will be praying for you all! Love to you and Lucy (and Jordan, too!)
The tears have returned! I am SO sorry! Little Lucy in that tiny little gown makes me cry, and your sad face makes me cry.
Get better soon little Lucy Jayne! We need you to be back to your old self!
We'll keep you all in our thoughts and prayers! Hope you guys get some rest and your little lucy will be able to get comfortable.
Wow, what a little trooper. She will be in my prayers!
How awful. It breaks my heart- I can't imagine how you feel. Hope things start looking up! You and your sweet girl with be in our prayers.
oh. my. goodness! words cannot even begin to express our concern and heartache for you all, especially little miss lucy. you will be in our prayers. we sure love you!
laura - i just read both posts and am dying. my heart is broken and I am crying. I am so sorry!!!! i cannot even imagine. You ALL are in our prayers.
I am praying hard for you guys. That must be so tough! If you guys need anything at all please don't hesitate to ask. Hope little Lucy gets to feeling better soon, hang in there!
Oh, this breaks my heart. I hope she gets better real soon!
My mom told me what happened and I've just been sick. Man, what a crazy freak thing. Keep us updated- I'm thinking about you.
I can hardly read this without feeling sick to my stomach. Your poor little baby...
There's just no way to prepare for motherhood. You were so smart to call the doctor when you did so you could get her into the hospital. I'll keep your little family in my prayers!
I'm so glad you took the time to give us an update! We have been worried. My heavens what troopers the three of you are! Poor baby! Anyway hope all works out and that no surgery is needed. And please know that every mom understands!! I guess we will never know why these sad crazy accidents have to happen.
Post a Comment