Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Pregnancy Update

So, as of today I am twelve weeks pregnant. According to babycenter.com, my baby is the size of a lime. I would like to say that pregnancy thus far has been a glowing, wonderful experience--but "I cannot tell a lie". Too be perfectly honest it has been downright miserable. I started throwing up the day I was six weeks pregnant, and I have not stopped since. Over Christmas break, after throwing up seven times before 3:00 in the afternoon, Jordan called my doctor who finally prescribed me Phenergan. While Phenergan makes me feel like I haven't slept in four days, it does quell the nausea which I am extremely grateful for! I also started noticing around six weeks that my left sciatic nerve was bothering me a bit. By seven weeks, (I am not exaggerating), I could not walk, sit, stand, or lie down without constant sciatic nerve pinching on both sides. I tried physical therapy for 3 weeks, but did not see any relief. I started going to a chiropractor 2 weeks ago, and I am a believer. Hallelujah. Amen. While the nerve pain is ever-present, my pain factor went from a 10 to a 3. I know, I know. I'm screwed later on if my nerves are already bugging me. Last Tuesday I had my second OB visit, and he decided to do another ultrasound for me. As I sat watching my baby wave to me on the ultrasound monitor I decided that maybe pregnancy wasn't so bad. I don't mean to sound whiny and ungrateful, because I couldn't be more excited and feel more blessed to be expecting a baby right now. I know there are plenty of girls that have experienced FAR worse, and even more that would put up with anything if it meant they could get pregnant. I just needed to vent a little. Thank you cyber world for listening. Here is my first belly shot. Yes, I am already showing at 12 weeks. That's what you get for having a one-inch torso. Enjoy.

22 comments:

Jen said...

I am so glad you did a pregnancy update! I am sorry you are still throwing up but happy to hear the chiropractor is helping your back! I totally am a believer! You look so cute and I really am so excited for you! Never feel bad for venting! Pregnant women have every right...and it is very theraputic! Hope the vomitting stops soon and work treats you well! Love you muchly!!!

Julia M. said...

Freaking so cute. Love you!

Chrissy said...

Congratulations Laura! Babies really are worth all the misery of being pregnant. I hope the second trimester is better for you.

Camille said...

You look beautiful!! I am glad your pain scale went down. Who knows, maybe the pain will lessen as he or she gets bigger and changes locations. (What do I know but I can be optimistic for you!) It is all worth it in the end. Keep everyone posted.

patti said...

Laura Laura Laura--Sciatic pain by 7 weeks!?!?! I am SO sorry! I'm actually posting at 2:30 a.m. because my precious one inside is having a dance party on my diaphragm and causing some sweet pain in my back and ribs...I'm not complaining either. ;)
Your belly is adorable! I can't wait to see the little Jordan/Laura!

jakenapril said...

are you really pregnant because i can't tell? you are itty, like a lime! and just wait...it will get better. think pace bars. yes, and i am looking forward to more updates, so keep 'em coming!

Jillian said...

I'm so sorry your pregnancy has been so hard Laura! It can only get better from here, right? I had sciatic nerve problems early on with this pregnancy too, but nothing like what you're explaining. Does your doctor keep doing ultrasounds to make sure there's just one baby or what? :p It is pretty fun to get ultrasounds, especially early on before you can feel the baby moving. It makes it more real. I finally did a pregnancy update too ... in case you're interested.

Hayden said...

I am so sorry that you are not feeling the best- being around smelly kids makes it worse too. It sounds like the Phenergan is working a little- I didn't like it (or Unisom, B6 shots, B12 vitamins, etc.)- nothing really helped very much- I am on Zofran now- it doesn't make me tired and keeps most food in. I also am trying good morning mama- an herbal thing. I hope it doesn't last much longer for you. Did you know that Fetal Fotos determines the gender at 14 weeks? We found out at 15- (my doc doesn't until like 18/19 weeks) having more of an identity makes feeling like crap a little bit better. Hope you start feeling better! Love the LITTLE tummy!

Kellie said...

congrats laura! i took a ginger supplement in the early stages of pregnancy and it really helped with the nausea...good luck! It will get better!

Haley Hale said...

Laura, oh Laura. How I feel your pain. I had sciatic nerve problems in both my pregnancies, but with the boys, it actually slacked off some as the pregnancy progressed. Strange, but true. I wish so bad I could be there to see you. I would even hold your hair back for you. Love you!

Hale-O There said...

looking good!!! I'm showing my parents your blog and they love it.

Meags said...

laura! i am sorry you are sick ... it will pass soon enough and you will be loving your 2nd trimester! it's the best! i feel your pain with the sciatic nerve ... i had it really bother me 2 times during pregnancy and actually RIGHT NOW! as soon as i read what you wrote ... i read it to jordan because that is exactly how i feel as i write this ... i need to go to the chiropractor! i am so stoked for you and jordan though! it is all worth it once your little one is here! you look AWESOME!

Georges...party of 4 said...

laura. congrats! Oh the wonderful joys of pregnancy. It's true though.. soon you'll be in your second trimester and being feeling great. Don't you love seeing those ultra sounds. Take care.

Briana Langford

Unknown said...

You are so cute! Congratulations!!! Yes I have be blog stalking but I'm ready to fess up. :) I TOTALLY relate to your nausea, you poor thing. Ask your doctor to let you try Zofran (or generic Zofran) - it worked a lot better for me than Phenergan! Anyway, let me know what food is staying down and I'll bring you some! :) Hugs, Mary Hoffmann

Tagen and Eric said...

Sorry that you're so nauseated. How can we know the sweet if we have not tasted the bitter, right? Please remember that your baby gets a dose of whatever drug you take. You can check out side effects of any drug at rxlist.com. Let's just say drug companies are more concerned about making money than they are about the safety of your little bun in the oven. If they were concerned, they would have already done studies on pregnant women. Stay informed and it will make your M.D. and your D.C. proud of you! :o)

Parker Family said...

Dear Laura,
I hope you feel better soon. You look beautiful as ever. I will remember you in my prayers, cant wait to see what will be a most beautiful baby. Take care, we love you two!!!

Mike-Jami-Bridger-Foster said...

You look Awesome! I remember the nerve pain and that sucks soooo bad! I'm sorry you've been so sick too.. Oh the Joys of pregnancy. Hopefully it will get better for you soon. You guys are going to be such fun parents. I'm really excited for ya! We need to hangout and play games or something.

Bethany said...

i love limeade. see you on saturday...and i'll bring you a bag of cookies and a piece of bread.

Sandra and Brent said...

I love the belly picture! Keep hangin' in there. I'm so excited for a local grandbaby! Love ya, Mom

Jonny said...

Congrats guys! That's so exciting!!! Laura, hopefully after a few more weeks all the sickness will pass. The first little while is crazy, whether it's sickness, or emotional, but it's SOOOOOOO wonderful in the end! You'll be such an incredible mom....and Dad (Jordan!) Good luck! -Rachel Hiller Anderson

Nichole said...

You look so cute! And it's okay to say being pregnant is hard! I totally agree with ya on that one! But I am very excited for you! Yeah! love ya!

Baden Fox said...

Not fun! I am so sorry. It all fades away into a foggy memory when the baby comes though, and you just want to do it all over again! Hopefully it will get better though as you go along! Take care,
Mares