Friday, March 18, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you (yesterday)! This often overlooked holiday holds a special place in my heart. My dad and grandparents served an LDS mission to Ireland and have instilled in me a love of Irish music and culture. Seriously, does it get any better than Irish fiddle music? Ever since I can remember, we have had a big corned beef and cabbage meal on St. Patrick's Day. This year we decided to celebrate St. Patrick's Day the Sunday before, because Rachel was scheduled to have her baby on the 17th. My mom was under the weather so the responsibility fell on me to cook the St. Patrick's meal for 17 people. Talk about pressure. It actually was easier than I thought, and the meal turned out great. I guess it was good for me to finally learn how to put this meal together, because I plan on making it every year for my own family.
Cabbage. Corn. Asparagus.
Fruit tray.
Mashed red potatos with leeks, cream cheese, and butter.
The main event. Corned beef. Some people are kind of freaked out by the name corned beef--however, the corn refers to the fact that you cook the beef with peppercorns.
All dressed in green.
On the 17th, I made a green meal for dinner complete with mint chocolate chip ice cream for dessert.
Erin Go Braugh!!

3 comments:

Sandra and Brent said...

Well done little darlin'! Top o' the mornin' to ye. Love ya, Mom

Janel said...

What a feast! Grandma told me it was delicious, and it looks delicious. Way to go, that is quite the crowd to feed!!!

Bethany said...

what is a trip to the hale manor without celtic music??? glad your dinner turned out. i knew you'd be fine. you're an excellent cook...especially chicken pillows. (do you even call them that?? or did i make that up??)