I had an interesting experience at the dermatologist's office yesterday. I went because my Guttate Psoriasis is not really going away and because I had some new red bumps that don't look the rest of my body. Turns out the bumps are bites of some kind, so please bless that we don't have bed bugs or something freaky. I can't remember if I've posted on my rash since the initial post, but I have two different skin conditions going on. On my face and in my scalp I have a scaly/flaky rash that is red and makes me look flushed, and on the rest of my body I have skin lesions that are reddish/white and look something like chicken pox scars (aka Guttate Psoriasis). Anyway, the doctor was looking at my face and felt like maybe it was time that we biopsied the lesions on my face. She found a lesion that was in my hairline and decided to biopsy in my hairline so that she wouldn't scar my face. Now, a biopsy typically takes just a couple of minutes. They give you a shot of Novacaine, tear off a little chunk of skin the size of a pencil eraser and give you a couple of stitches. No big deal, right?
I need to digress for just a moment to remind you that I don't respond well to anasthestia. For example, I don't go numb at the dentist. Every time I have had a cavity or a root canal drilled, they spend forever trying to get me numb but I end up feeling the entire procedure. When I had my c-section, they gave me a spinal block to numb me and I took FOREVER to get numb to the point that they would start the procedure. When the doctor began the incision, I yelped because I could completely feel his blade slicing through my skin and muscles. I still feel pain where the incision was made.
Now that you have the background information, you understand that I was apprehensive when she told me I would feel nothing during this biopsy. I informed her of my inability to numb and she gave me double the amount of Novacaine just to be safe. When she tore off the skin sample I felt everything and jumped. She couldn't believe that I felt anything, and gave me another shot of Novacaine because she needed to stitch me up now. However, my little head would started bleeding out of control. All of sudden I felt blood pouring down my face and seeping all through my scalp. The doctor and medical assistant were both extremely surprised by the amount of blood coming from my head. So, the doctor tried stitching the would together, but I could feel every single poke of the needle. So, she kept giving me Novacaine and I kept feeling her sewing my skin together. Because I was bleeding so badly, she had to use a machine that sent an electrical current in the would to staunch the bleeding. This wouldn't be a big deal if I couldn't feel anything, but I still wasn't numb so I could feel the maching burning me. Betweeen the burning machine, her stitching my skin together, all the shots of Novacaine, and all the pressure of them trying to staunch the bloodflow, I felt pretty crappy by the time I left the doctor's office. They had given me SIX cc's of Novacaine which is enough for an entire surgical procedure, and the entire thing had taken an HOUR. Now my dermatologist can join the long line of doctors/dentists who have told me that I don't "present like the norm". From my extra bones in my feet to my weird skin conditions that don't respond to treatment to my inability to numb, I guess I am a walking freak of nature. Maybe I should join the circus and capitalize on my weirdness. Ha ha. I feel much better today and at least now we'll know definitively what's going on with my face.
9 comments:
Okay I had to pause 3 times while reading this post because I thought I was either going to pass out or puke!! What a horrible experience. You are such a positive polly! I love it! Hope you get some answers soon.
Laur, I am SO sorry. That's why I decided an unmedicated childbirth would be my best option. . . just in case.
Can we get together on the 17th of this month or the Monday off next month? I'd really like to see you and Jess and Britt and anyone else. Let me know!
Good crap, and I am sorry. I dont really know what else to say. You never cease to amaze me Lar!
Oh Laura, that sounds absolutely awful. I hope you hear about the results soon!
Looks like you had a great Christmas. So jealous you guys got skis, even more jealous that you awesome mountains to ski on. Derek and I are going skiing next month in northern MI, but let's just say will be skiing down hills. Love you cuz!
I am not sure what to say, but
I hate the rash.
love you
girl ... you are NOT a freak of nature. first of all!
i am so sorry about all of this though. i know you will overcome it ... you are tough!
i love your christmas post. i know i say this in every comment i leave you, but LUCY is the cutest little girl EVER! love the picture of her with the reindeer antlers on.
let's get together SOON!
My poor baby girl . . . I just don't know what to say to you anymore. I'm sure that you got all of your abnormalities from your dad's side of the family :)
Love you, Mom
I don't even know what to say, really what the heck. I can't believe you made it though all of that without being numb. You poor thing, really that is terrible. I hope they figure it out and that they can make it go away soon.
I'm honestly afraid to read any more of your blog posts. I'm feeling a little light-headed at the moment and quite possibly will faint any minute. I have no words for you dear Laura. Bless you.
Post a Comment