Monday, March 16, 2009

Speech-Language Pathologist or Creature From the Underworld??

A couple of weeks ago I had a first grade teacher ask me to observe one of her students, because she was concerned about his speech. I went to observe, and sure enough the student had a speech impairment. I called his mom to inform her that I would be sending home a permission-to-test form, and to please sign it and send it back. She said she would and that was the last I heard for a couple of weeks. I finally got the form back today, but there was a note at the bottom saying that the mom wanted to be there during the evaluation. I thought this was pretty unusual, so I went to the first grade teacher and asked her if there was something I needed to know about the situation. She made a funny face and said, "I'm not really supposed to say anything to you." Of course now my curiosity was piqued, so I pressed her for more details. You're not going to believe what she told me...
Apparently this student is DEATHLY afraid of me. Why? Because he thinks I look like a VAMPIRE!! That's right. A first grader is so afraid of me, that the very thought of coming to my office sends him into hysterics. Is it my dark hair and eyebrows? Maybe my gleaming white teeth? Maybe the fact that I beckon other students from the doorway to come with me to my secret speech lair? I know I'm not exactly tan right now, but A VAMPIRE?? Whatever the case, I find the entire situation completely humorous. I've heard many reasons for kids not wanting to come to speech, but this definitely tops them all.

Resemblance? Maybe....

14 comments:

Mike and Erin Hale said...

I didn't want to say it, but I think EVERYONE is afraid of you. Especially when your riding the crimson wave.
"gulp, gulp" Is that the sound the little kiddies make when they go to your lair, or the last sound your sibbling makes as he/she is drinking right before you slash their esophagus out of their neck.
PS Mike just told me to write that he is going to kill you both in the basketball bracket.

Sandra and Brent said...

I think the pictures actually DO resemble each other! This is definitely one that will go down in history. Love ya, Mom

Julia M. said...

Oh the joys of children! That makes me laugh, and I hope the testing goes well. Maybe he won't talk and then what do you do? Good luck!

Jillian said...

That's too funny! Ammon and I are both laughing. Oh, and Ammon says he's going to win the bracket.

Steve and Kalli said...

Wow. This is probably the coolest story I have ever heard in my life. This definitely tops the old lady hitting me with her purse!

Haley Hale said...

That is hilarious!

Bethany said...

that is a sick vampire picture. i think you should print it out and have it hanging in your office when they come.

Hale-O There said...

You know scott is a pro at adding devilish features to perfectly nice looking pictures... he could photo shoot some fangs on that picture and you could hang it up. I think it's pretty funny.

Hayden said...

I love it! You, of all people...scary? How dang funny are kids?

Camie said...

Don't you just love the odd comments kids make? It's like when I came back from maternity and the kids asked me if I'd had my baby yet ... guess my tummy didn't look too different ;) funny, funny.

Beeta said...

I laughed so hard when I read this! That is awesome. Vampires are the new rage, so sounds like you're in business. Maybe you could be Bella when she turns into a vampire in the final movie (I've never read the books so I'm just making stuff up). This post made me day (me was a typo, but I decided to leave it cause it's St. Patrick's day)

Janel said...

Oh I love little first graders. They really say the funniest things. This is definitely hilarious! Laura I miss you, I really keep meaning to call you. I would really love to get caught up.

The Littlest Moons said...

That is the funniest thing I have ever heard! I have never laughed so hard at any post ever! Thanks for sharing and no you do not look like a vampire! Poor kid, he may need more help than just with speech. Ok that's mean, sorry!

Meags said...

haha this is hilarious! you do NOT look like a vampire ... are you kidding!? thanks for a good laugh though!

SO .. how are you feeling!?! i hope great! and BTW, CONGRATS on the babe ... if i haven't already told you. i feel so behind on leaving peeps comments on their blogs ... i am stoked for you two! hope all is well!