Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Bye Bye Binkies

Let me preface this post by saying that Lucy is a binky girl. One binky is not enough. There must always be a minimum of two binkies, but three or four is preferable. We have been telling Lucy for the past few months that when she turns two she will have to give away her binkies. Finally, after getting home from all of our vacations we decided it was time. We woke Lucy up and told her that today she was a big girl, and that she didn't need a binky anymore. We went for a "binky hunt" around the house and put them all in a ziploc bag. Then we drove all the way to Orem to the Disney store. As I mentioned in a previous post, Lucy is obsessed with ANYTHING elephant right now, and she calls them all Dumbo. "Dumbo" is the movie of choice, and she loves to tell me all about Dumbo. When we got to the Disney store we told her that she could "buy" a new Dumbo using her binkies. This is her face when she saw Dumbo for the first time.
She waited patiently in line with her bag of binkies.
When the time came, she hesitated.....then handed over the binkies.
What a big girl!!


Now I would love to report that being binky free has been a slice of heaven. Lucy definitely understands that we're "all done with binkies", however, she still has yet to learn how to soothe herself when she is in bed. I keep hoping that she will attach herself to another object like her Dumbo or her tag quilt. She wakes up in the middle of the night and is completely beside herself crying. I would make her just cry it out and learn to do some better self-soothing but she has now discovered how to swing her leg over the top of the crib and balance precariously on top like this...
I guess if this continues, we'll just have to buy the tent that goes on top of the crib to keep her contained. Poor girl, I really hate to take away her source of comfort but she can't have a binky forever. Here's hoping that she finds another way to soothe herself! Wish us all luck.

4 comments:

Camie said...

What a cute idea! She is gettin so big! I am so super-duper jealous of your amazing summer ... and so happy that you get to be home more this year! Sounds like things are going well! :)

Steve and Kalli said...

Way to go Luce and parents! That cannot be an easy transition. I'm sure someday I'll be asking you about how you did this- it was ingenious :)

Heather Williams said...

Okay, I love that you got that picture of her handing over her binkies to the lady...priceless! That is so sweet...hope the rest goes well!

Street Fam said...

I wish I would have gotten a crib tent for Ben. He used to climb on his crib every day! My friend puts her 3 year old in the crib to take a nap every day. I will be purchasing one if Eliza thinks climbing is cool. And Ben had to get rid of the binkie when he was 2 too. Took a few days for him to be okay with it all! Good luck!